A crew with the Yakima Fire Department (YFD) went to Central Auto Body & Painting, located at 2302 S. 1st St.
The fire prevention officer was the first to arrive and reported seeing black smoke coming from the front shop door.
Witnesses informed firefighters that the business owner went back inside the building and did not see him come back out.
The officer informed a responding fire crew of the person inside and the crew was able to find him and get him out of the auto body repair shop.
Reports said the owner had inhaled smoke and had minor burns. He was taken to a nearby hospital to be evaluated by medics.
Firefighters also located a dog alive in the building and were able to get her outside and watch her until family could get her.
Firefighters put out the blaze in less than 15 minutes, according to a YFD news release.
This fire likely started accidentally from sparks while the vehicle was being welded, firefighters said.
Fire investigators said flames were contained to the car, but the business and other vehicles were damaged by smoke and heat.
Officials said the car is a total loss.