Make no mistake: the gating item for PHEV’s is battery technology that can provide enough energy for 100-200 miles of driving before a recharge is necessary. Everything else to make the car currently exists: efficient, high-torque motors, variable ratio transmissions, and strong, lightweight composite materials for the body and frame.
Benefits of PHEV’s are patently obvious:
- Reduce – and in fact nearly eliminate – our dependence on foreign oil.
- Greatly reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Revitalize the American automobile industry (and companies that support it) when we need it most.
- Provide thousands of jobs constructing the charging station infrastructure that will be required to support a national PHEV fleet of cars and trucks.
- The creation of even more jobs to upgrade and expand our nation’s power grid to get all the additional power that will be required to where it’s needed.
- Employ still more workers to construct solar and wind farms to generate the additional power required.