Six people escaped injury after a three-alarm blaze ripped through a cab company service garage in Bayview District of San Francisco, CA. The fire, reported at 11:53 a.m., was brought under control around 3:00 p.m., fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said. The blaze caused the roof to collapse at the building, which was still smoldering late in the afternoon, Talmadge said.
Charles Rathbone, assistant manager with Luxor Cab Co., said the fire destroyed the service garage on Upton Street that the company used for maintenance and body repairs. “It’s a total loss,” Rathbone said. He said all employees inside the building escaped without any injuries. However, he said, “We lost a bunch of cars in there, including a beautiful 1938 Plymouth we had hoped to showcase as part of our history.”
“It’s nothing that money can’t fix,” Rathbone said of the fire. “Nobody was hurt so we’re fortunate in that event.” Employees at other neighboring businesses were also evacuated because of the fire.
Luxor is one of the city’s original cab companies, operating since 1928.