While warnings to avoid Tsunami relief scams seem to be getting as much press as the news coverage itself, people in the auto industry should not be afraid of legitimate donations to help Japanese victims.
Japan has been one of the most generous nations internationally in disaster relief with many teams dispatched to other parts of the world. For example, a Japanese disaster relief team helping the victims of the New Zealand quake was recalled to help its own citizens.
Please consider supporting at least one of the following relief charities.
Mercy Corps is working to help survivors of Japan's earthquake and tsunami with their longstanding partner, Peace Winds, which specializes in immediate rescue aid.
Peace Winds helicoptered emergency supplies on Monday -- including tents, blankets, cooking fuel, tarps, rice and bread -- to families evacuated from homes in the tsunami-devastated city of Kesennuma.
Your donation will be used to meet immediate and longer-term needs of earthquake survivors.
OTHER Reputable organizations
• American Red Cross: The Red Cross is in Japan helping with emergency relief, food and shelter. To donate, go to www.redcross.org. Checks can be mailed to PO Box 4002018, Des Moines, IA 50340-2018. Donors also can call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text REDCROSS to 90999 to contribute $10.
• Global Giving: The agency is helping other groups with emergency relief. To donate: www.globalgiving.org; Global Giving, Japan relief, 1023 1st St. NW, 12th floor, Washington, DC 20005; or text JAPAN50555 to contribute $10.
• International Medical Corps: The corps is sending a team to Japan to help with medical needs. To donate: www.internationalmedicalcorps.org; Development Department, International Medical Corps, 1919 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 400, Santa Monica, CA 90404; 1-800-481-4462; or text MED8088 to contribute $10.
• AmeriCares: AmeriCares is providing emergency relief and expects to be on the ground in Japan this weekend. To donate: www.americares.org or 88 Hamilton Ave., Stamford, CT 06902
• Save The Children: This organization helps children displaced by the earthquake, providing emergency relief. To donate: www.savethechildren.org; 54 Wilton Rd., Westport, CT 06880; 1-800-728-3843; or text "JAPAN" to 20222 to contribute $10.