Monday, 31 August 2015 22:10

Electrical Fire Causes $190K Damage to Maryland Body Shop

An electrical failure in a battery-charging system started a fire that caused nearly $200,000 in damages at Bob's Auto Body shop in Hagerstown's West End on the morning of August 28, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office told heraldmailmedia.com.

ElectricFire2

Hagerstown firefighters hose down a smoldering section of a west end auto body shop.

Kevin G. Gilbert/Chief Photographer

 

The fire started at 1227 Wabash Ave around 11:15am, according to Battalion Chief Adam Hopkins of the Hagerstown Fire Department. He said his unit was among the first to arrive on the scene.

"Heavy fire was coming out of the front of the garage and the windows," Hopkins told heraldmailmedia.com.

He said firefighters attacked the blaze from the outside by pumping 500 gallons of water per minute from a ladder truck, and 500 gallons of water per minute from an engine.

The blaze caused an estimated $140,000 in damages to the contents and $50,000 in damages to the structure according to the fire marshal's office.

The roof was damaged by the fire, while the front of the building was destroyed. A charred vehicle could be seen in one of the garage's three bays, reported heraldmailmedia.com.

The fire marshal's office said a second vehicle also was damaged.

The fire, which started in the office, was reported by a neighbor, the fire marshal's office said.

About 60 firefighters from Hagerstown, Halfway, Clear Spring, Funkstown, Longmeadow, Maugansville, Williamsport and Franklin County, Pa., took 40 minutes to bring the fire under control, reported heraldmailmedia.com.

Fire crews stayed several hours after the fire was out to spray water on smoldering portions of the building.

Due to the fire, traffic in the area was snarled, and several streets were shut down.

No injuries were reported.

Read 360 times